Current Worship, Ministry, and Facility Updates
To protect families in our congregation and community during COVID-19, we have taken the following actions:
- Our church office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm. While our staff will be present in the building during these hours, due to the current COVID numbers in the community, our main entrance doors will be locked and our building will be closed to the public.
If you need to stop by the church, we ask that you please call the main number at 913.432.5573 and someone will come and meet you at the entrance doors. Masks will be required of all people who enter the building. If you forget yours at home, we have some individually wrapped masks available directly to the right of the doors when you enter the building at the sign-in table. Please sign in each time you enter the building.
- All in-person worship, gatherings, classes and events are currently postponed or cancelled. Our re-opening process will be posted as soon as conditions warrant safe indoor gatherings.
- Worship services will be posted online at 5 pm on Saturdays. We've enjoyed having the chance to worship with people from all over the country this way! We welcome everyone both near and far to our church community here in Prairie Village, KS.
Please check our home page or our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AsburyUMCPrairieVillageKS/ on Saturdays at 5 pm for a new worship service video. Videos can be accessed at any time throughout the week on our home page, or if you would like to peruse our whole video archive, please visit https://www.visitasbury.org/worship/.
- We have been holding an outdoor drive-through communion the first Sunday of the month in our back parking lot! Our next outdoor communion is Sunday, March 7 from 11 am to 12 pm. You do not have to be an Asbury member in order to attend - all are welcome here!
We only ask that you please enter the church through the west side by the Chapel / Asbury Children's Center, receive your communion by the main entrance, and exit by Nall Avenue.
- Are you receiving our Alive Newsletter? All of our latest Asbury news will be posted there. Sign up at the bottom of our home page at https://www.visitasbury.org/.
- For after-hours pastoral care emergencies, please call Rev. Gayla Rapp, Senior Pastor, at 913.433.4444 or
, or Rev. Lee Johnson, Pastor of Congregational Care, at 913.909.1573 or
. Would you like to submit a prayer request or view our community prayer board? Please visit https://www.visitasbury.org/pastoral-care/.
- Missing your Asbury community? We are, too. We've created some wonderful opportunities on Zoom to stay connected with each other in the meantime. Please visit https://www.visitasbury.org/sunday-school-small-groups/ to explore our offerings!
Please continue to pray for those affected by this virus. Check on your friends and neighbors, particularly those who are isolated. Stay at home as much as possible, but maintain contact with one another through phone calls, emails, social media, and Zoom.
Just because our building is closed doesn't mean our church is! Here are some ways we can serve our community while practicing appropriate social distancing:
Asbury Food Pantry
One of our biggest community ministries is our Asbury Community Food Pantry. During these tough times, we're helping feed more people than ever before. So please give if you can! Both food and monetary donations are always appreciated and welcome.
Click here to read more about the Food Pantry: https://www.visitasbury.org/food/
Donate Blood through our Blood Drives
Asbury hosts blood drives through the Community Blood Center every couple of months at the church. Our next blood drive is Saturday, February 27, from 9 am to 2 pm in Hager Hall.
Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN)
Interfaith Hospitality Network helps to accommodate families in need of housing and food assistance in Johnson County. They do this through host partners like Asbury who open their doors and provide home-cooked meals for one week, four times a year. We are proud to be a part of this ministry every quarter when we open our third floor to families experiencing homelessness to provide a safe, comfortable space where they can rest.
Relieve Stress with Zoom Yoga!
It's always a good time to do yoga. Kim Peck has recently completed a yoga series on Zoom, and we want to share her classes with you!